Monday, October 1, 2012

3 weeks Post-Op

I’m a little late posting but here is an update…


Friday I had an appointment with the Nutritionist at my surgeon’s office. I had been struggling with getting in my proteins and liquids for a few days and having a couple other issues. After meeting with him though, I felt better knowing that what I was experiencing was completely normal and I would get to my goal of 60-80 grams of protein and 64oz of liquids a day. I also met with him because as of Friday I could add soft foods to my diet (fork tender foods)…legally that is. Yes, I have had eggs, chicken, fish…etc. in my 3rd week. Done well most of the time but had a couple trail and errors occur. I am learning what the “Comfortably Full” feeling actually feels like. I also got to weigh Friday and I had lost 2 more LBS!! So now, my total loss is…

24 LBS!!

Not so bad for 3 weeks out. He told me they usually like to see a loss of 15-20 pounds at my time frame, so all in all scale wise…I’m thrilled!

I have found that I do so much better on the weekends with Protein and liquids then I do at work. I get busy and side-tracked and then I realize I haven’t drank or eaten anything for 2-3 hours…NOT GOOD!! I’ve got to better!!! I feel so run down lately. I’m sure it’s from not meeting my goal of daily intake.

I have also found that I do get hungry, not in the way I used to, my stomach still does not growl (thank goodness) but I’ll start thinking about food….junk food, fast food, anything I could possibly get my hands on quick. That happened to me Saturday; I was out shopping with my Mom and little guy. I ate before we left and brought something to sip on. I was drinking the whole time but about 4 hours later, I started noticing food all around me. I started thinking to myself, “Wonder if I could eat that?” “Maybe I could eat just a little of this”. I let myself get hungry I guess.

Another thing that I have noticed is in week 2 and 3 being around food didn’t bother me, but everything looked so good. Foods I didn’t even like before surgery. Just to smell food made me happy…crazy huh. Then in the last week, all of a sudden I could care less, food still looks good but I have lost all desire for any of it. I eat because I have to…not enough but I’m working on it. If I didn’t have to, I wouldn’t eat

(minus something crunchy…I’d kill for something crunchy!!!)

Nothing really tastes good to me anymore. Especially a protein shake…yuck!!  I feel if I have to drink one more I will gag!! I got this lactose intolerance crap going on and I’m so sick of Muscle Milk!! It’s just gross to me. I would buy something else but I don’t really want to spend a lot of money on protein powder and then I hate it too. The nutritionist told me that if I was able to get enough of protein from food that I didn’t have to do shakes. I guess I’m just really tired of thinking about the whole thing. I need a better attitude about eating and drinking. I want to be healthy and I know if I don’t do what I supposed to, I won’t be.

Any advice? I’ll sure take it!!



2 comments:

  1. I hear you on the crunchy! My husband has an open bag of Salt & Vinegar chips in the pantry and it's the only thing that has tempted me so far. The only thing that keeps me from it is pure, unadulterated fear.

    Glad to hear your NUT is happy with your progress. I see mine next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the loss. Do you mix your muscle milk with just water? I sometimes mix the vanilla with orange juice, or add some sf jello to it. I don't like the vanilla plain, but I dont mind the chocolate plain. I want to try it with the peanut butter powder.. I think it's called PB2, but of course, I can't buy it locally, so I need to try and get some online.
    Keep it up! You are doing great!


    BYW.. Would you mind turning off the verification for messages.. I have tried and tried.. I am just no good at them.

    ReplyDelete